Project Greenlight Digital Studios
“Get The Greenlight” Contest
These official rules (“Official Rules”) govern the Project Greenlight Digital Studios “Get the Greenlight” Webseries Contest (the “Contest”). The Contest begins at 10:00 AM PT on November 3, 2015, where entrants (each a “Contestant”) can enter a short “pitch video” submission (“Submission”) as further described herein, and the Submission period closes at 11:59 PM PT on November 25, 2015 (the “Contest Period”). All Contestants agree to abide by and be bound by these Official Rules.
The Contest is open only to permanent legal residents of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia, who are eighteen (18) years of age and older as of November 27, 2015. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Adaptive Studios, Inc. (“Sponsor”), and its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, employees, advertising and promotion partners and agencies (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”) and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible. Professional directors are not eligible. A “professional director” is defined as any individual who, as of November 27, 2015, is (i) a member of the Directors Guild of America (“DGA”) or (ii) has directed a feature film that was acquired for the purposes of, and subsequently received, paid distribution in any medium. There is no purchase required to enter a Submission. Contestants also must have a valid email address.
3. How To Enter
To enter, visit https://www.projectgreenlight.com (the “Site”), during the Contest Period. Contestants should follow the instructions on the Site to complete the registration form for the Contest and successfully upload the Submission to the Project Greenlight website. All Submissions must comply with the Submission Guidelines, as more fully described below. Registration for the Contest is free. All registration information is required in order to participate in the Contest.
Two Contestants (each a “Team Member” and together, a “Team”) may combine to act as co-directors for a Submission. A Team can only consist of two individual Team Members; any Team found to have more than two Team Members will be disqualified. Each Team Member must satisfy all eligibility requirements set forth herein for a Contestant. If one Team Member fails the eligibility requirements, then the Team’s Submission will be disqualified. In the event one Team Member is ruled ineligible, the remaining eligible Team Member may re-enter the Contest using a new Submission provided the Contest Period is still open. Team Members may only submit one Submission; other Submissions submitted by Team Members in their individual capacity will be disqualified. One Team Member must make the Submission on behalf of the Team and list the name of the other Team Member in the space provided on the Site. If, at any time during the Contest, any Team Member elects to voluntarily end his or her participation in the Contest, the remaining Team Member may continue on in his or her individual capacity using the Team’s Submission, provided that the remaining Team Member secures all necessary permissions and rights from the departing Team Member. Each Team Member shall be deemed to have jointly and severally made and entered into all of the representations, warranties and agreements contained herein and shall be jointly and severally obligated and bound thereby. Except as otherwise expressly set forth herein, all of the Promotion Entities’ rights pursuant to these Official Rules relate to and are exercisable against each Team Member.
Limit one Submission per Contestant or Team. A Contestant or Team can use only one email address account to enter.
4. Submission Elements
Please include the following elements within your Submission:
- The name of your pitched series;
- Your name (and the name of your additonal Team Member, if applicable);
- The basic “pitch” for your series: setting, tone, genre, main character/s, central narrative arc/s;
- Length of planned episodes and total number of episodes;
- Answer the question: why should your series “Get the Greenlight”?; and
- Demonstrate creativity and uniqueness of voice and vision.
5. Submission Guidelines
All Contest Submissions shall conform to the following guidelines:
- The Submission must be Contestant or Team’s original creation;
- The Submission must be performed in the English language, but common foreign words/phrases are acceptable;
- The Submission must be new: not already produced, not already sold to a third-party, and not distributed on-line or otherwise;
- The Submission must be no shorter than one minute and no longer than three minutes in length, including titles, if any;
- The Submission may include links to a web page where you can share more information about your idea: photos, videos and written materials;
- The Submission shall not infringe the copyright or any other proprietary right of another individual or entity, nor shall it contain music from published artists as this may cause your Submission to be removed from the Contest;
- The Submission must not have previously been entered into any competition or contest or won any award prior to submission into the Contest;
- The Submission must not focus on any brands or logos; Sponsor shall maintain the right to disqualify any Submission in violation of this element in its sole discretion;
- The Submission must be a live action sequence (i.e., animated and stop motion scenes will not be eligible; CGI and special effects are allowed);
- The Submission must not contain any nudity, pornographic or unlawful content or obscene or objectionable material as each is judged in Sponsor’s sole discretion;
- All Submissions must be in one of the following formats: WMV, AVI MP4 or Quicktime;
- The aspect ratio of the uploaded Submission must be 16x9 (1920 X 1080 pixels; it may be shot in other ratios and converted), and the Submission cannot exceed 50MB;
- The Submission must be shot in landscape; Submissions shot using a portrait orientation will not properly play on the Project Greenlight website.
- The Submission must not contain any software viruses or other codes or programming designed to limit, impair, destroy, interfere or otherwise cause harm to the Contest, the Site, other Contestants, Submissions, individuals, or Promotion Entities.
The Contestant or Team must have all rights, clearances, permissions, approvals and/or consents necessary for their Submission, including but not limited to music rights, releases from all persons appearing in the scene, location releases for all recognizable locations, and releases from all creative consultants or others who assisted in the creation of the scene. In the event that a Contestant or Team does not have the appropriate rights, the Submission may be disqualified in the Sponsor’s sole discretion. In the event of such a disqualification, Contestant or Team may edit and resubmit the Submission, provided that the Contest Period is still open.
In the event a dispute between Team Members cannot be sufficiently resolved, Sponsor may disqualify the Team in its sole discretion. In the event of a dispute where a given Submission is deemed to have been submitted by two (2) or more separate Contestants or Teams, without limiting Sponsor’s rights and remedies, the Contestant or Team that first submitted the Submission will be deemed the proper Contestant or Team for the Submission. In the event of any dispute regarding the identity of a Contestant, the relevant Submission will be deemed submitted by the email account holder used to enter the Contest.
6. License To Sponsor
By participating in the Contest and uploading a Submission, Contestants grant Sponsor, and its licensees, successors, and assigns an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, license (but not the obligation) to use, copy, sublicense, transmit, distribute, publically perform, display, exhibit, alter, edit, scan, duplicate, modify or create derivative works from the Submission in any manner, including in advertising, promotion and publicity materials, in any medium now known or hereafter devised, throughout the world, in perpetuity. Contestants irrevocably waive any and all so-called moral rights they may have therein. Contestants acknowledge and agree that the Promotion Entities do not have now, nor shall in the future have, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of any copyright in and to any Submissions.
The winner (the “Winner”) of the Contest will receive the following prize (the “Prize”):
- the opportunity to work with Sponsor to write, direct and produce a short-form, episodic digital video series (the “Digital Series”) based upon the Winner’s pitch video.
- the budget for the Digital Series shall be $25,000.
8. Contest Judging
The Contest will consist of multiple rounds of judging. Those rounds are described in further detail below.
- From 10:00:01AM PT on November 3, 2015 and ending on or about 11:59:59 PM PT on November 25, 2015, Sponsor will accept Submissions from Contestants for the Contest (“Round One”).
- From November 27, 2015 to December 7, 2015, Sponsor shall review all Submissions internally based on a set of criteria which will include each of the following:
- Originality of Pitch Video
- Production Quality of Pitch Video
- Overall Pitch Impression
- Originality of Digital Series Concept
- Commercial Viability of Digital Series Concept
- Can easily understand concept of Digital series
- Characters portrayed in the pitch are interesting
- I would watch this Digital Series
- “It Factor”
- After the end of the Round One, Sponsor will identify the Submissions qualifying for the second round public voting (the “Second Round Submissions”). The Contestants or Teams who submitted the Second Round Submissions will be deemed to be the Second Round Contestants. Sponsor will attempt to notify the Second Round Contestants via email of their advancement into the next round of of the Contest. If a Second Round Contestant does not respond to Sponsor’s notification attempts after two (2) tries or does not wish to continue, he or she may forfeit their position as a Second Round Contestant and Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate or continue with the remaining number of Second Round Contestants. Each of the Second Round Contestants may be required by Sponsor, at this stage or at a later point in the Contest, to answer additional questions, participate in additional screening procedures, or execute additional documents, including an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability, in order to continue participating in the Contest. The Second Round Contestants must sign and return any such documents within seven (7) days (including Weekends and Postal Holidays) of attempted notification. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification without further notice or an alternate being selected by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
- Beginning at 9:01 AM on December 7, 2015 and continuing until 11:59 PM on December 18, 2015, the submissions of the Second Round Contestants will be posted to www.projectgreenlight.com (“Round Two”). Members of the public with active Facebook accounts (or those willing to register for such accounts) will be allowed to vote for one video, and one video only, during Round Two. The Second Round Submission receiving the greatest number of aggregate votes from the public during the Round Two will automatically be advanced into the third and final round (the “Final Round”) of the Contest. Sponsor shall determine four additional Contestants for the Final Round (the top vote getter during Round Two and the additional four selected Contestants together, the “Top Five”) in its sole and absolute discretion based on the selection criteria outlined above, the results of the public voting during Round Two, and any other factors or criteria Sponsor deems applicable. The determination and certification of the Top Five shall be made by Sponsor on or around December 21, 2015, and such determination and certification shall be final and binding. Sponsor will attempt to contact the Top 5 Contestants notifying each of them of their advancement into the Final Round of the Contest. If a Top Five Contestant does not respond to Sponsor’s notification attempts after two (2) tries or does not wish to continue, he or she may forfeit their position as a Top Five Contestant and Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate or continue with the remaining number of Top Five Contestants.
- Sponsor shall select and announce one (1) potential Winner (which, for clarification, may be a Contestant or a Team) on or about January 8, 2016. The final determination of the Winner shall be made by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and such determination shall be final and binding.
9. Obligations For Winner
Winner must sign and return all documents sent by Sponsor, including but not limited to a Digital Series production agreement with Sponsor, within seven (7) days (including Weekends and Postal Holidays) of attempted notification. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification without further notice and an alternate winner may be selected. Return of any document as undeliverable may result in disqualification without further notice and an alternate winner may be selected. All taxes (including, without limitation, federal, state, and local taxes) on or connected with the Prize and the reporting consequences thereof are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the Winner. No substitution or transfer of the Prize by Winner permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Prize for a prize of equal or greater value. As a condition of accepting the Prize, the Winner must be willing and available to render full-time, in-person services in connection with the Digital Series during all periods of pre-production, production and post-production thereof (the “Production Period”). The Production Period shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor makes no warranties, and hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning the Prize furnished in connection with the Contest.
10. Publicity Release
By participating in the Contest, either as a Contestant or Team (each a “Participant,” and collectively, “Participants”), in addition to any other grants which may be granted in any other agreement entered into between Sponsor and any Participant in the Contest, each Participant irrevocably grants and assigns to the Promotion Entities and their respective successors, assigns and licensees, the right to use his or her name, likeness, photograph, and biographical information in any and all media throughout the world, for any purpose, including without limitation advertising and promotional purposes, including but not limited to the Site. Participants unconditionally release the Promotion Entities from any liability with respect thereto.
11. General Rules
Proof of submission is not proof of receipt of entry. Participants agree to waive all claims to and shall receive no royalties of any kind now or in the future from Promotion Entities for use of Submission in the Contest, Site, or otherwise, and Participants represent, warrant and agree that no other party is entitled to claim royalties from the use of the Submission as set forth in these Official Rules, and that the Submission is not subject to any collective bargaining agreements. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE CONTEST AND ALL MATERIALS PROVIDED ON OR THROUGH THE SITE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. Sponsor makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the content or the accuracy or reliability of any information, ratings or statements in the Contest or Submissions and is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, reviews, ratings, or other materials, whether caused or created by a Participant or other individual, by tampering or “hacking,” or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized as part of the Site or the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, lost, late, damaged, illegible or misdirected mail, e-mail, or direct messages or for any technical problems, malfunctions of any telephone lines, telephones, computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Sponsor is not responsible for any damage to any Participant’s computer system/software related to or resulting from participation, uploading or downloading any materials in this Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN IDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. If a Contestant submits more than the stated number of Submissions permitted, and/or if the Sponsor suspects that a Contestant attempted to obtain additional Submissions by using multiple email accounts, identities or any other method, all Submissions submitted by the Contestant will be declared null and void. Any suspected use of robotic, automatic, programmed, or the like methods of participation will void all such Submissions by such methods. The Contest may be cancelled, modified, terminated or suspended if the relevant platforms are infected by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes outside control of Sponsor which impairs or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is suspected of tampering with any entry process or the operation of the Contest or the Site. In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Contest or the production of the Digital Series by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, technical issues with the Site, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared) or any federal, state, or local government law, order, or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not within the Sponsor’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence), Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, or terminate the Contest or the production of the Digital Series. In such an event, a notice will be posted on the Site. Because of the unique nature and scope of the Contest, and because of the complexity of the technology underlying the administration of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, in addition to those other rights reserved herein, to modify any date(s) or deadline(s) set forth in these Official Rules or otherwise governing the Contest. Each Participant acknowledges and agrees that his or her participating in the Contest shall not give rise to any special, implied-in-fact, implied-in-law, or other fiduciary relationship with Sponsor or any Promotion Entity. By participating in this Contest, each Participant agrees to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and Sponsor’s designees, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Promotion Entities are not responsible for typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest materials and the terms and conditions of the Official Rules, the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control.
12. Representations And Warranties/indemnification
Each Contestant represents and warrants to Sponsor as follows: (i) the Submission is the Contestant’s own original work; (ii) the Submission is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (iii) the Submission neither infringes upon nor violates the intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or entity; and (iv) the Submission does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and is not and will not be defamatory, libelous, pornographic, or obscene. Additionally, each Participant represents and warrants to Sponsor as follows: (i) the Participant will comply with these Official Rules and the requirements set forth in any other agreement Participant may enter into with Sponsor; (ii) the Participant will not violate any laws, rules, or regulations regarding their participation in the Contest; and (vi) the Participant will not upload any “viruses” or other information, code, or material(s) that may damage or otherwise interfere with the Contest, Sponsor’s computer systems or data, or the computer systems or data of any other person or entity. Each Participant hereby agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold the Promotion Entities harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations or agreements of Participant hereunder.
13. General Release; Limitations On Liability; Waiver
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, EACH PARTICIPANT AGREES THAT: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZES AWARDED, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, NOT TO EXCEED FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($5,000), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS’ FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; AND (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY PARTICIPANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND EACH PARTICIPANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES, AND/OR ANY AND ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED.
Each Participant acknowledges and agrees that the Promotion Entities are not responsible for any costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with: (i) incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible Submissions or Ratings or for failure to receive Submissions or Ratings due to any cause, including without limitation human, transmission, or technical problems, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether originating with sender, with Sponsor, or otherwise, that may limit a Participant’s ability to participate in the Contest or send or receive notifications requiring action or response by such Participant; and (ii) any injury or damage resulting from participation in the Contest and/or the use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, or any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages related to or based on the Participant’s rights of publicity or privacy, or the Participant’s claim that he or she has somehow been defamed or portrayed in a false light).
Each Participant acknowledges that there is a possibility that after his or her entry into the Contest, he or she may discover facts or incur or suffer claims which were unknown or unsuspected at the time of entry and which, if known at that time, may have materially affected his or her decision to enter the Contest. Each Participant acknowledges and agrees that by reason of these Official Rules, and the release of liability contained herein, he or she assuming any risk of such unknown facts and such unknown and unsuspected claims. Participants have been advised of the existence of Section 1542 of the California Civil Code which provides:
A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE WHICH, IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER, MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.
Notwithstanding Section 1542 of the California Civil Code, entry and participation in the Contest shall constitute a full release of liability in accordance with its terms. Each Participant knowingly and voluntarily waives the provisions of Section 1542, as well as any other statute, law or rule of similar effect, and acknowledge and agree that this waiver is an essential and material term of these Official Rules and that without such waiver, Sponsor would not have accepted Participant’s involvement in the Contest.
14. Governing Law/arbitration
The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. Headings and captions are used in these Official Rules solely for convenience of reference, and shall not be deemed to affect in any manner the meaning or intent of these Official Rules or any provision hereof.
17. Winners List
To receive the name of the Winner by email, send an email to email@example.com with PGLDS Contest #1 WINNER as the subject line. Requests must be received by 12/31/16. Email will be sent after the Winner has been verified.
© 2015 Adaptive Studios, Inc. All rights reserved.